Return To Hockey Reminders
Wednesday Dec 2, 2020
I wanted to send out a big thank you to all parents, guardians, and players. Since the start of this season, you all have been very willing to adapt to the restrictions put in place to ensure we maintain a safe hockey program for everyone during this Covid-19 pandemic.
In order to start this season, we had to create a “Return to Hockey” plan which had to meet all the requirements provided by Hockey NL, Hockey Canada, Sport NL, the Department of Health, and Twin Rinks. This plan was submitted to Hockey NL and was approved before the start of the season. We have many restrictions that we must follow to make this season a success. We really need the support of the parents to keep our program running smoothly and not risk jeopardizing what is most important, keeping the players on the ice.
With that being said, there are some things we want to re-enforce. While most parents/guardians have been great, we are still seeing several violations of our “Return To Hockey” plan.
1. There is only ONE parent/guardian permitted in the rink with each player. We know this can be difficult for some families who have other children or two parents who wish to attend, however we have to stay within the rinks spectator limits to maintain the required physical distancing. Unfortunately, we cannot allow any exceptions. There are many rinks in NL that are not allowing parents in at all above the U9 division….we want to keep allowing each player to have one parent present.
We have had many parents who have stepped up to be Safety Volunteers to help at the door with our contact tracing and it’s becoming an increasing issue with more than one person showing up with a player. Please don’t put them in the uncomfortable position of having to turn people away. We need these volunteers for our program to continue.
2. The rink doors will open 10 minutes prior to the start time of the practice/game and will be locked again shortly after the start of the session. Once the doors are locked, no one else can enter the building, nor can you leave and come back in. We have had several complaints of parents opening the doors and letting others in once they are locked.
3. Parents/Guardians have to maintain 6 feet physical distancing in the rink at all times. The stands are marked every 6 feet with tape. It has been brought to our attention that spectators are gathering together and not maintaining the 6 feet distancing. This guideline is the same for parents standing along the glass. The areas are marked to show where you can sit/stand.
4. Since Twin Rinks is a public facility, masks must be worn at all times. Players/coaches can remove their masks when they put their helmets on. Coaches must wear masks when they are on the bench during games.
5. Please take note of the dressing room limit signs on the dressing room doors. This capacity limit includes parents/guardians.
6. You are no longer required to fill out the Covid-19 Screening Form before coming to practices/games. Hockey NL is taking a new approach similar to the “School Self Check” where we ask that you screen yourselves at home prior to coming to the rink using the Covid-19 Screening Form checklist (located in the bulletin section of our website) and if you answer yes to any of the questions, do not come to the rink. Our safety volunteers will still be at the door to take attendance.
Please remember that these rules must be followed in order for us to continue the season and we really don’t want to run the risk of barring parents from the rink, or even having to shut the program down. If we all work together we can keep our program running smoothly!
Back to News